Monday, November 28, 2005

Jacking Online Editorial Jubilee

Wednesday November 27th, 2005
Jacking Online Editorial Jubilee



the
INDIECLUB CLEVELAND meeting went off last week very well. We screened the first of the Horrors of War Web Docs, a series of over 20 online videos we’ll be doing to show the MAKING OF the movie as well as some handy filmmaking tips we learned on the way. Indie Clubbers Really dug them. We got a much bigger response than we’d anticipated. I was taken aback by the laughter and enjoyment we got.

Tempered Zealot Productions showed the Brandy written short THE DECISION to good response too. I am proud of Brandy for following through and making this movie and with a good group of people.



The new
Horrors of War Web Docs have started. The goal is to have two sets of these. Half that are much like the kind of thing you’d see on any DVD only a bit more in depth, one nugget at a time. Amusing anecdotes, behind the scenes video footage, and interviews with cast and crew. The second half will be very short HOW TO’s, DEFINITIONS, and HANDY TIPS for filmmakers, using Horrors of War only as samples, and a lot less promotional.

I wanted to make sure that Phil, Sean, John, Jon, and everyone get some equal face time so that Horrors of War doesn’t have the “Peter John Ross Show” vibe so that people who hold a grudge against me may think twice before holding it against the movie that is so much bigger than me.



We started the ONLINE EDIT. This is the phase at the very end of making the film. It’s where we re-do our entire edit but from the highest resolution master tapes, in our case, uncompressed Digital Beta tapes. LYON VIDEO hosts our merry band and it’s been a learning experience and full of new info I never had.

We’re cutting on the high end AVID NITRIS system, but I’ve still had to re-render FX shots, and other non-standard shots from the film. We started color correcting scenes, but we’re still missing several highend FX shots. I still need to do several MUZZLE FX shots of the gunfire.


Yesterday my main editing computer fried. Brandy & I were watching a video and the system locked up. Upon reboot, Windows would not let me in. I got so far into it that I had even tried to re-install Windows XP, but alas, I get a consistent Blue Screen O’ Death. I’m screwed. I’m on the hunt for a new PC, at least one on loan.



I watched BE COOL, the GET SHORTY sequel. It sucked. A lot. There were a ton of BRADY BUNCH moments and it denigrated the original film. I hope that Elmore Leonard never sees that hunk of garbage. We also saw the new Harry Potter in IMAX. The movie was just okay, but the SUPERMAN RETURNS trailer in IMAX rocked. Superman is being shot in HD video and not on film, a first for Bryan Singer and demonstrative of the future of cinema.

CHECK OUT the SUPERMAN RETURNS Web Docs HERE



Decide for yourself whether or not rumors are true. Never take someone’s word for it. Sometimes reality is somewhere in the middle of interpretations, in other cases, it’s better you not know for certain & live in denial. Some people here have made whole imaginary castles that they live out full film careers in their denial.



Many things are happening…



Internet Video Magazine has mentioned our new web docs and thanks to Mark for the props.



Rewind Video.com has also put up a nice bit of words on them too.









Times have changed here in Rossdonia. I have made an ally of Mr. Spaz Anderson. He spends most nights with me as a toe warmer, so the allegiances seem to be divided more by gender at this time. It’s boys versus girls in a cold war of attention, petting, spooning, and hairballs.

I myself have had to sleep with a female spy to get information on where the cats had hidden my shoelaces. It was difficult, but I had sex with a woman in the name of the Republic of Rossdonia. It had to be done. In a time of need, each of us has a choice and that was mine. I did it for us all.



That’s it fer now. I may have to suss out a bit more information and that will require some concentration.

-Ross
-2005 - THE YEAR OF ROSS 2: FROM RUSSIA WITH LUMPY